Friday, February 23, 2007

Groundhog Day (Day 1)

Unfortunately today started out early...very early...about 4am. Jen had to get up early and head out to the airport to meet Ritz-bitz for the outbound to San Fran. On a good note, the MI friend finally got on a flight to Denver (3rd times the charm) making it a foursome for the girl weekend....oh yeah, that call came in about 4:20 am - to let us know that she was on the plane...lucky me. Then about 4:30 my nose decides to explode into a geyser of blood...ah, it must be winter time in CO. Then around 6:30 Kade makes his morning appearance to watch a little Curious George on the bed with Daddio. Then about 20 mins later Payton decides she has slept long enough and thus starts the day. Not the optimistic start I imagined last night...but no SOS flares going up yet. Seeing as everyone is now awake, I called Jen to make sure that she got to the airport ok. You see, she is driving the beast which is still spewing coolant since I need the car for the weekend. Last night I showed her how to put more coolant in the truck in the event that it goes dry and the temp spikes. I am not sure she really appreciated the lesson but now we have two certified master mechanics in the house.

Breakfast was also not heading in an auspicious way. Both kids basically pushed their food around their plates and snubbed their noses at me. So I says to myself "Self, I am not biting on this bait". I simply took the food away and figured we were now condemned to an early lunch (with multiple meltdowns along the way). After breakfast we played for a little while and I got the phone call from Jen saying that all four girls got on the San Fran flight (they are all flying standby) so at least that part of the journey was finally over. Finally, I got Payton back down for her morning nap around 9..hey, something is starting to look normal.

I took a quick shower and got Kade dressed and lunches packed. Once Payton woke up we all bombed down to old-town for Friday sing-along. Things are starting to look up. Both kids are in a good mood, I have everything I need ready and we are on time! We get there and meet Ellen/Megan/Laura at the Mercantile. The kids all have a great time and so we head over to the Spicy Pickle for some lunch (you see this is the normal mommy Friday AM routine...so being a good Mr. Mom, I took one for the team today). Lunch was surprisingly good with both kids eating a lot of food..."Self, you are smarter than a dumb bass" (since I passed on the bait earlier). The ironic thing is that Jen called me on my cellphone, let me know she was there and asked to talk with Ellen...I am not making this up...5 secs with me and 10 mins with Ellen...I am starting to wonder where I sit in the relative hierarchy. Apparently Mr. Mom's are the lowest class of Moms...relegated to be the secretary of the bunch. In all fairness, Jen had a question for nurse Ellen and not friend Ellen. Apparently Mattie has a bit of pneumonia and Ritz-bitz had some questions. Anyway, it was a nice morning...everything running smoothly thusfar. Oh, did I forget to mention that both kids pooped at lunch and there is no changing table in the Mr. Mom's bathroom...

Then we get home and settle in for some good old fashioned time killing. We all head to the basement and played with Kade's new whiteboard/chalkboard easel. That lasted a little while and finally around 2 I got Payton down for her afternoon nap. Kade and I then proceeded to watch Monsters Inc (not on the top 10) to pass a little time since he has officially given up napping altogether. Payton takes a wonderful nap (~2 hrs) and then we all play for another hour. Then we start dinner and both kids eat really well again (Campbell's Dora Soup rocks the catbox or cashbox or casbah...). By about 6:30 the wheels are starting to come off the wagon...so we head up and take baths - something they both absolutely love. That kills some more time and by 8:00 both kiddos are out cold....VICTORY! Seeing that I am totally exhausted, but reveling in my successful first day I decide to watch two TV shows recorded on my media PC and journal the day...now it is almost 11:00 and I am starting to realize my plan is fundamentally flawed. I should be in bed seeing as there is a very real possibility that both will be up by 6 or earlier. I think tomorrow we will try and head over to the grocery store (I need coffee) and then head over to the Library to return the movies we rented last weekend. Apparently its supposed to be cold tomorrow and snow...maybe there is hope for Mr B's beloved.

I can not wait for day two of Groundhog Day ;-)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

As we will be in the market for a new laptop one day soon, could you please explain "watch two TV shows recorded on my media PC?" I would love to be able to do this in the future but don't quite understand everything I need in order to be able to do so! Will Vista have these capabilities as well?!? Blog, email or old fashioned phone call would do the trick. Thanks.

CherkyB said...

I need coffee, too. Oh, hey look, here's some right in this mug next to me. My wife made it for me.

Rob said...

CherkyB: Gee thanks, but I am not sure I completely believe that your wife made it for you ;-) Actually, the trip to the store was a good break for me and the kiddos....

Flogger: I will post about it sometime in the near future...the HTPC that is. But in short, you need a TV tuner card and either XP Media Center or Vista Home Premium. From what I have read, Home basic does not include the media center interface.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Rob! Those pieces of information are key!!! Will let you know if I have further questions.