Friday, February 16, 2007

Rob's Top Ten Movies

As promised I have worked up my top-10 movies. The list is skewed to more recent movies since this is based only on what I have watched and the fact that a lot of the older movies have a tough time competing with the latest movie making technologies. I will try and make the list more complete with a "Critics Corner" post link for each movie. I expect this to change over time seeing as I am sure I have forgotten dozens of movies worth consideration and I suppose better movies will eventually be made (although I have not seen too many great movies come out lately). Of course, this may require me to watch a few of these again, just to freshen up my perspective ;-) In order of preference......without further adou:
  1. A River Runs Through It (1992 - IMDB Link). First, it is a great fly fishing movie - one of my main passions! A wonderfully told story of watching a loved one fall deeper and deeper into trouble despite everyone trying to help. Who of us have not experienced this frustration in life?
  2. Band Of Brothers (2001 - IMDB Link - technically a mini-series but I don't care) Simply the best war "movie"! At ~12 hrs, it dives deeply into the individuals of Easy company/101st Airborne during WWII. Accurate historically.
  3. Cinderella Man (2005 - IMDB Link) - A personal walk through the great depression - a lesson for all of us.
  4. Office Space (1999 - IMDB Link) - A modern day Dilbertization! Very funny.
  5. Saving Private Ryan (1998 - IMDB Link) - Bar none, best depiction of the D-Day landings. The "mission" is an interesting twist which pulls in the human element of a passive teacher becoming a great warrior and witnessing his internal turmoil along the way.
  6. October Sky (1999 - IMDB Link) - An instant classic in my mind. A true story with great inspirational value.
  7. We Were Soldiers (2002 - IMDB Link) - Historically accurate depiction of a key battle early in the Vietnam War. Good at personalizing the human side of war (including their families at home).
  8. It's A Wonderful Life (1946 - IMDB Link) - No need to comment further.
  9. Memento (2000 - IMDB Link) - One movie you may have missed...a continual series of twists and turns make this riviting.
  10. Poltergeist (1982 - IMDB Link) - The first horror movie my parents let me see. I saw it in Rhode Island when I was 7...it is a movie I will never forget ;-) It will likely fall from the list but it deserves some time at the top!

Honorable Mentions:
  • Why We Fight (2005 - IMDB Link) - not too well known documentary. Objective look at the issues associated with the strong links between a standing military and a profit driven defense industry. Simply makes you think...some argue this is not a good thing ;-)
  • Caddyshack (1980 - IMDB Link) - "On your death bed, you will receive total consciousness. So I got that going for me...which is niiice"!
  • The Bridge On The River Kwai (1957 - IMDB Link)
  • Apollo 13 (1995 - IMDB Link)
  • Happy Gilmore (1996 - IMDB Link) - "Talk about your all time backfires" will live in my vocabulary forever!
  • Black Hawk Down (2001 - IMDB Link)
  • Tora Tora Tora (1970 - IMDB Link) - an original for the ages but the special effects are from the 70's.
  • Good Will Hunting (1997 - IMDB Link) - teaches us to all look deeper and get past the facade...




10 comments:

CherkyB said...

I'm surprised that "The Story of O" didn't make your list. Or do you have something against French films?

CherkyB said...

Oh, and I just love the advertisements your post attracted.

Anonymous said...

What about "What About Bob?" and "Groundhog's Day" and "The Sure Thing" and "Joe versus the Volcano" and "The Wedding Singer"? "Donnie Darko"? "Spiderman" and "Toy Story" for crying out loud? What have you been watching? Good grief. I'm surprised you didn't list "The English Patient" and "The Piano."

CherkyB said...

The Piano. Harvey Keitel's butt. Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't list that, too.

CherkyB said...

And "Bad Lieutenant," the movie that put the fun back into routine traffic stops.

CherkyB said...

I wonder if it's time for a new tagline for your blog. "Easier than doing updates on the family site..." has kind of a mommyblogger vibe to it.

How about, "You never would have guessed, would you?"

And I think while you're at it, you should rename the site to "Cavitation Engineer".

Rob said...

I have not seen The English Patient of The Piano...I heard they are both artsie fartsie and terribly slow.

Now Toy Story came close...also did Monsters Inc and Ants...but in the end I just couldn't do it.

Pilgrim said...

Just to make you jealous - one of my friends who is stationed in Germany ate lunch with the "Band of Brothers" who had a reunion there last year. She said it was an incredible experience and her dad was SOOO jealous - he was the one who introduced us to "Band of Brothers".

Rob said...

Wow - that is crazy! I would give anything to be able to just sit and listen to the stories....

Boucanier said...

With All of the war movies, I am surprised The Big Red One, Patton, Twelve O'Clock High, and The Longest Day did not recieve mentions.

And with one classic (It's a Wonderful Life), you may want to expand to other Black and White greats such as Les Miserables, the Lon Chaney version of The Wizard of Oz, etc.

I would also say that there are a myriad of classic comedy movies such as Topper, plus anything by Hope and Crosby or Martin and Lewis.