Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Quick School Update

Yesterday was the start of week 3 for Kade at school. As usual, we started the morning with our ground prep bombing campaign which consists of any and all ways which we can include the word school in a fun and exciting manner. To my surprise, for the first time it went swimmingly. I asked him if he would like Dad to take him to school after breakfast and he replied with an enthusiastic "OK". Wow - shock and awe.

So we finished up our breakfast of Lego Eggos and put on his shoes, coat and hat...so far so good....no tears. Then we started to head out to the truck and he informed me that he wanted to go and "smash snow in the truck". This is a game we have picked up lately since most of the roads in our subdivision are still single lane. Finally we load up with his Dora-Vuitton and head on out to smash snow. [Sidebar: snow plowing flash game - you gotta try this one] We have a great time further breaking my truck [sidebar: I still am putting coolant in my truck] and when we turn the corner to the school he pointed and said "there's my big boy school"...still going well.

We get inside, take off his winter gear and get him situated with Mrs. Newcomb coloring some green cardboard boots. I stay for a minute (just long enough for him to start doodling) and then tell him that "I am going to go and that mom will be back before lunch to pick him up"...his reply...the same "OK" we started the day with - a little less certain but still positive. When Jen picked him up he was happy and the teacher said that he did great....Hallelujah!! Hopefully we have FINALLY turned the corner.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh I remember those days...our oldest (20 yrs old now) had the same phobia. Really didn't see the need for school. A lot of tears.
Finally when he was a Junior in High School he accepted it.
~just kidding~.
Things will get better for you all.
My Mom would say to me, if he didn't have it so good at home he might wanna go?

Hang in there.

:)

Rob said...

Jen will be happy to hear the last part about having it good at home. I keep telling her the same but for some reason it doesn't seem to help at the end of those long days at home with the kids ;-)

Anonymous said...

I am glad this experience is going better than the last. "My big boy school" sounds very hopeful. Tell Kade I am VERY proud of him. Thanks for keeping me up to date. It was hard not to call this week.

By the way, I got stuck in Dullas last Sunday and spent the night on the chairs for a 9 AM flight. So I took the day off as I only got a couple of hours sleep.

Talk to you soon.

Rob said...

Sorry to hear about the flight last weekend. That stinks.

Kade is doing great with School...today he was excited to go and on the way he told me that he wanted to go see his teachers. Then he ran into the school (that may have had a little to do with it being 5 degrees though). When I left him he could have cared less...that is a first!