Wednesday, January 24, 2007

10 Years at The Company

"Best of Pics": Continuing on with the series of "best of pictures"...here are a few more. Today I chose to theme it up with some nature shots. The first (rock in foreground) was taken atop Vail mountain in CO. It was a great weekend thanks to the gracious generosity of Flogger - who lets us occasionally use her timeshare in Vail. The picture is looking South across the valley at Holy Cross Mountain. The second two were taken in Oregon on some hiking trail between the Tillamook air museum and Newport. I am sure we have the name of the trail written down somewhere but not going to go fishing for that tonight...The trail was pretty easy and the falls at the end were really impressive. I especially liked the water running through the hollowed out log...that was pretty neat. Anyway...I have a whole series of lighthouse pictures from the entire OR coastline...sometime I will put all that up. [For those who have not figured this out yet...you can click on any photo for a much larger image...none are full resolution as I knock 'em down for uploading but still you can see much more detail]

10 years: So a few weeks ago was my 10 year anniversary at The Company. The was it works is that every 5 year major milestone you get an "award". This all seems nice until you start looking at the "awards". There is always the token craptacular watch with The Company logo emblazened across the face or some cheap wall clock (which by the way was what I ended up with for my 5 year). But then I noticed a few "interesting" items. First was a golf club set...so I said to myself "self, this looks promising". Well, upon clicking for more details I found out that it was just a driver...hmmm...retail value of ~$80. Then I look at a telescope which looks promising...again upon closer inspection it is the cheap knockoff of the good one...retail value ~$90. Then I look at the final item of interest...a radio scanner...looks ok, its nothing I will ever buy for myself...~$90...ok I'll take it. Well I got it and its also a piece of crap...quite useless as it does not support digital transmissions or trunking. About the only thing that I get loud and clear is the baby monitor in Kade's room...uh, note to self...that is not so secure ;-) So I guess the moral of the story is...The Company pretty much values their employees to the tune of about $10 per year...makes me all warm inside just thinking about it!

4 comments:

CherkyB said...

Wow, dude. I got the scanner for my ten year anniversary (~1.5 years ago), and it was great! Hard as hell to figure out how to program, the manual clearly not being written by anyone who was an adept English speaker, but I loved it. So much so that The Mrs. began to get jealous and hollered at me whenever I turned it on.

But that was in San Schmose where there were multiple police, fire, and ambulance agencies within range, given a population of like 1.5million people in the general area. Here in FC, it sits quietly on the workbench, unused. I can't find the manual, and I can't remember how to reprogram it to receive the dead air that is the FC emergency traffic.

CherkyB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rob said...

Yeah - clearly FTC uses a trunked system because I can hear bits and pieces but not entire conversations. You can occasionally pick up the Hammers but that is pretty snoring stuff.

CherkyB said...

Seems like we're well overdue for a new post here. Good thing I have one in case your readers get bored.