Sunday, December 17, 2006

Self, what the heck is wrong with you?

So an odd thing happened this Sunday. First, let me backup to Friday. Jen and her friends decide to go out and have drinks...no problemo, after all I am super dad so I will just give the kids a bath and put them both in bed. The night goes off without a hitch - and as I stated in a Friday's blog...Kade even managed to pee on his own. Not a bad start to the weekend. Then Sat rolls around and apparently the wife has plans to clean the house and wrap everything not tied to the walls. Ok. So we clean the first floor (on the short list of things I REALLY love to do)and then head off to Megan's 3rd birthday party. The party is a lot of fun for the kids but apparently Kade doesn't want to come off his sugar high, so no nap for Kade - damn. After dinner we struggle to get Kade to bed and then its time to start wrapping (also on the short list of things I REALLY love to do - right next to cleaning). So I wrap for like 3 hours while watching the Cowgirls beat up the Falcons (not a good start to the football weekend).

Then Sunday AM rolls around. After feeding the kiddos and getting Payton down for her first nap...its time to clean the second floor. So I head upstairs. By this time I am still festering on the Cowgirls win, doubting the Giants prospects against the Eagles and cleaning...a bad trifecta. Then something odd happened. While cleaning the kids bathroom (and being grumpy as all heck)...I have a strange thought....I am very thankful for everything that I have in my life. HUH? So I says to myself...self, what the heck is wrong with you? But the more I thought about it the more a smile started to cross my face (something similar to that famous Grinch smile I suppose). It amazed me how just simply thinking about my beautiful kids, wonderful wife, food in the fridge, roof over my head and even my job (oddly enough) brought a smile to my face. (Ok, now I am sure to hear about this from someone on Monday morning!) Unfortunately, it is just too darn easy these days to forget what we have in life. We all get caught up in the rat race and before we know it life has passed us by and we are just bitter and angry. So as I finished up cleaning - smile fading slightly - I continued to think about all those little moments that make our lives special for which we should be thankful.

AND THEN THE GIANTS GO AND LOSE TO THE EAGLES...and that was the end of that...craptacular!!!

Gotta run...

4 comments:

CherkyB said...

Happy with the kids and wife. That's so sweet.

Nava said...

Rob, it takes a big man to write what you did. If only more of us would stop to think like that once in a while. Like, once a year.

Too bad the Giants ruined it all, Eh?

Jen said...

Ummmm....should be impressed or are you just looking to get a lot of pats on the back?

Rob said...

Actually I was expecting to catch a lot of shit this morning...but I guess since CherkyB is on vacation...I have nothing to fear ;-)