Monday, May 14, 2007

Breastos and Guapo

So Sunday was Mother's day in America...but it was not in Costa Rica. They do not celebrate until August...but being the great husband I figured that I better do something for the Mrs. especially since I dragged her away from her friends and family - all the way to Costa Rica. I fully expect Jen to want to celebrate mother's day in August as well ;-) Anyway, this time things were a little difficult to figure out given the fact that the past few weeks have been consumed with nothing more than packing, moving, packing and moving....and I sure as hell wasn't going to take any more crap to Costa Rica...17 bags was enough for me. So I worked with Eulalia and was able to get her a message in the hotel room. Apparently it was a good message...better than the last one in Costa Rica. And apparently they do things a little different here also...about half way through the message the lady asked Jen is she would like her to message her breastos...you got it...the cans! She said no thanks of course...but I told Jen that she really should have accepted just to see what the fuss was all about ;-)

Then afterwards I ventured off to the grocery store again...this time with Kade, Tom and Grandma. The trip went a lot better...partly because Kade was well behaved...partly because mom could fill in the Spanish gaps...partly because I learned some new Spanish myself, the word guapo. You see, apparently the lady at the deli was talking to another lady when Kade and I walked past. Mom overheard the lady talking about me...using the word quapo. Mom then said something back to the lady and she turned red and started laughing. Apparently she thought we could not understand her comment and was quite embarrassed when ma retorted with something to the effect of: "no worries, I won't tell him until we leave" of course in Spanish....oops. Fun had by all except the ignorant gringo.

Monday morning was an event for the annals. Jen and I are now official Costa Rican's with our very own brand spanking new Costa Rican drivers license...oy!. I will show you mine...but I will absolutely not be showing you Jen's without her permission....you know how women are about their licenses...


Monday also signaled open season for furniture shopping. As you all know, we need to furnish an entire house from top to bottom in about 3 days...not an easy task...especially for two people who hate to furniture shop. But today we held our own today. We started shopping about 11am and were done by 4pm. In those 5 hours we managed to rack up $8,000...a whopping $1600 per hour (including a half hour break for lunch)!!! We got the bulk of the TV room, living room, kitchen, breakfast nook and Payton's room completed. We still have our room, Kade's room, the kitchen and outdoor stuff to go. Not to mention all the little things like rugs, pictures, decorations, plates, glasses, towels, utensils, lamps, nightstands, small appliances...oh my head hurts. So we are heading back out tomorrow to try and complete the big things so we can move in by Thursday...that's the plan anyway. The good news is that we have spent over half our budget so by that metric we made good progress today.

And a huge thanks to Grandma Judy and Tom...they watched the kiddos all day...there is no way we could have done this without them!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Sure hope Jen enjoyed her "message" and, as you noted, the ole "message the breastos" might have been interesting ... ROFLOL! Guapo ... I guess you have forgotten your English already!!!

GREAT STUFF! Keep it coming. Going to be totally bummed when you head back to work. Let's see ... do I have that right? You moved to CR for work purposes, right?!?

Rob said...

Oh yeah - I almost forgot about that work thing....good thing you reminded me ;-)

CherkyB said...

So, all that times you've seen Three Amigos, you never knew what El Guapo's name meant?

How about Jefe?

Jefe: We have many beautiful pinatas for your birthday celebration, each one filled with little surprises!
El Guapo: How many pinatas?
Jefe: Many pinatas, many!
El Guapo: Jefe, would you say I have a plethora of pinatas?
Jefe: A what?
El Guapo: A *plethora*.
Jefe: Oh yes, El Guapo. You have a plethora.
El Guapo: Jefe, what is a plethora?
Jefe: Why, El Guapo?
El Guapo: Well, you just told me that I had a plethora, and I would just like to know if you know what it means to have a plethora. I would not like to think that someone would tell someone else he has a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.
Jefe: El Guapo, I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education, but could it be that once again, you are angry at something else, and are looking to take it out on me?

Rob said...

nope...never knew.

Anonymous said...

So this is random, but my mom said that bottle of wine you guys gave me (and I gave her for mother's day) was one of the best bottle's she's ever had! So thanks again!

Rob said...

Glad that your mom could enjoy it...hope you got lots of brownie points ;-)