Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Taxes and lost $$

Last week Jen and I completed our 2006 taxes. For the record, I always use TaxCut because I really like the interface and it does a nice job handling special situations (like when we had dual residency in CA and CO). I originally used TurboTax, but it got the boot quite a few years back 'cause I once got two different results from the same data (I think it was using AMT on one calculation and not on the other). Anyway, as any normal human, I do not like the process of doing taxes. I try my hardest to maintain a folder of tax related activities through the year...but it always ends up taking me a few evenings and fetching lots of paperwork in between to get'r done. The interesting thing (or maybe not) is that I love completing my taxes. Not because I typically get a refund...but because you always have a much better understanding of your financial situation coming out from completing your taxes.

So this year I completed our taxes and we did in fact get a large refund this year (about $15K). The driving factor behind the big refund is simple, I still have my W-4 deductions set to my bachelor days. Now this is quite obviously a waste of potential money, seeing as I let the government keep about $1250 per month of my money thus I lost out on all the interest. Assuming I had placed this $1250 per month into a MMA acount making 5% interest, I figure I just lost out on ~$350 (a free 2.3%) ... ok, so now I am sure Jen is a little upset with me! Here is the table I used to calculate the loss:

Now one thing to point out here...one must be disciplined enough to actually save all $1250 per month and put it into the MMA. If you don't and instead spent anything more than ~$350 then you are break even or even lower. In the end, is $350 a huge price to pay for a "zero interest savings account"? OF COURSE IT IS! Instead, this year I plan to change my deductions and direct deposit the extra money into a separate high interest savings account like AmTrust Direct which earns 5.36% (just don't go over the 6 transfers per month or the fees will get you)!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

JFlog should comment on this post! He estimates our taxes over the course of the year and adjusts deductions as need be to get us as close to zero as possible. I have to admit that he has done an outstanding job over the years. We are usually within $1000 of what we wind up owing! If you only had the time to make such calculations over the course of your year what with 2 kiddos hanging on you every night when you return home from work! Now ... if only the wife would do that as well, who would even care about taxes!!!

Rob said...

I would love to know how JFlog figures out how to adjust his W-4. Ping him and see if he can share some of his secrets!