Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Funded my 401K/IRA and Lost $$ - but my investments went up...What's the dealio?

Funded my 401K/IRA and Lost $$ but my investments went up...HUH?: So from the title I know that you are already scratching your head..."how does one lose money with a 401K/IRA if the investments have not gone down??" It's simple if you follow the Cavitation way ;-) ...let me explain... For the past ~10 years Jen and I have been putting money into both our 401Ks.

Rob: I contribute regularly to my work 401K which is matched generously by my company. For 2006, the maximum contribution allowed was $15K. I unfortunately do not do that...I only put in ~$10K (not including employer contributions), meaning I am losing out on both the tax deferred gains on $5K as well as the income tax deduction I could have gotten (lost $$ #1). The reason for not kicking in the extra $5K was plain and simple --> comfort. I am not quite yet willing to take the $400 per month bite that would be necessary. [I am sure that someone will point out here that not all $400 will show up as a net decrease due to offsetting tax benefits.] The interesting thing is that a one time contribution of $5K this year (age 32) would compound into $116K by age 65 (assuming 10%)...and that would translate into $5800 per year in dividends for every year after 65 (assuming a 5% rate of return on the $116K). Hmmm...that seems like a no brainer....

The reason I am not currently stressing about the $5K (well at least I wasn't until I I wrote the last paragraph) is due to the fact that my employer kicks in another ~$9.5K on top of my contributions...so in total I am actually putting ~$20K/yr into my retirement fund...and at age 32, I think that is pretty good...but we shall test that in a later post. For now, the money being lost here is tied back to the $5K shortage in my contribution levels.

Now for Jen: Ever since Jen stopped working a few years ago to take care of the kiddos, we rolled her employer 401K into a rollover IRA and continued contributing at the max rates. In 2006 and 2007 that max rate is $4000 per year. In 2008, that will increase to $5,000. So in the case of Jen, it is not a question of not putting in the max allowable...it is a question of timing! I tend to wait until the end of the year when I am pulling together my taxes and then I realize...oops...I forgot to put that money into her IRA back in Jan of the previous year. So I cough up the dough and fund the max IRA contribution for the previous year. Needless to say, that means I am losing on average about $400 in gains (assuming market average of 10%) just because I make the contribution later than I could have. And to make matters worse, then there is the subsequent impact of lost compounded gains due to the delta in the two start dates --> the delta on $400 invested 1 year apart (again assuming 10% market growth) equates to a delta of about $800 at age 65! (lost $$ #2)

So the moral of our story: Just because you think you are doing great by making the effort to plow lots of cash into your retirement account...chances are you can still do more. Just a little tweaking here and there can make a huge difference in the end!

3 comments:

CherkyB said...

I'd be interested to know which of The Company's 401k investment options you think yields 10% on average. After 11 years in The Company 401k, I have achieved a net negative growth rate despite having a wide variety fund types. Last time I checked, I had 15% less money than the sum total of what I contributed, but that was a year ago. Maybe the stock market has come roaring back in the last year. The only thing keeping me in the positive is what's left of The Company's contributions, which lose value at roughly the same rate I lose my own money despite having a dedicated fund manager.

Rob said...

I will post on this later on the GenX site. What I can tell you is that the "Intel Stock Fund" has done terrible...and I have NEVER owned any of this. I was always worried about having too many eggs in one basket (confirmed later by Enron). So I dodged that bullet by accident.

Unknown said...

Now this is a good post with information every young person should read! It is amazing what the power of tax free compounding over the years can accomplish. BUT ... one has to put the money in early or it can make a huge difference. Of course, I can say that now that I am looing back and almost to retirement. THANK GOD JFlog was looking out for us all those years! Call me Clueless in Houston!!!

I too was wondering about that 10% rate of return. I would lock in that investment in a heartbeat now that we are almost retired! That would work fine for us going forward!!!