Sunday, May 31, 2009

12 more days in paradise

Well, we only have 12 more days in paradise.  Time really has flown by.  We spent the past weekend on the beach down on the Carribean side near Puerto Viejo.   Both Jen and I spent this morning looking over the lush plants and the blue of the ocean for one last time.  Very sad indeed to be leaving.

But then...
As we were driving home we got pulled over by a transito cop.  Yup.  Apparently they decided to enforce the old "passing in a double yellow line zone" law today.  And that really is funny in CR since only about 1/10th of the roads actually have any lines at all.  But anyway, I got pulled over and expected a small ticket and on our way.  Nope.  Not anymore.  Apparently the police in paradise now think it is appropriate to suspend your drivers license for 6 months for passing in a no passing zone.  Yup.  That's right - they take your license right then and there. (as an aside, I happen to be using my CO drivers license right now seeing as how my CR license has already expired..oops)
Now, being a good self respecting USofA citizen...we just don't sit around in situations like this and take it up the shorts. So I got out of the car and went over to the transito cop's car to have a little side conversation. Apparently if your Spanish suddenly gets a lot better (yeah - usually faking bad spanish gets you off quicker) and you start saying things like "But I am returning to the states and I need my CO licenese" or more importantly "If I paid you the fine right here in cash could I leave with my CO license?" they will magically let you proceed as if the little known law never existed.  Ahhh, the sounds of paradise (can't you just hear the cha-ching of the pretty birds and cute little tree frogs?).
The moral of the story...it's a good thing we are leaving CR.  It used to only hypothetically cost ~$40 to bribe a cop...now it takes hypothetically about $100!  And that my friends is the REAL cost of the recession....fewer tourists means the tourism "tax" gets disproportionately placed onto the few remaining (hey - kind of sounds like the US tax system huh...but that's a whole different kind of fleecing for another day...)

No comments: