Monday, September 24, 2007

The goofiest things I have seen on the highway in Costa Rica

As time goes, by I have seen more and more things on the highway and I really mean the highway. The road to and from work is 3 lanes (most of the time) each way. As such, I figured I would share some of the things which you will not tend to see in the states:
  1. A forklift. This one was in the right hand lane only doing about 15 km/hr. He did not appear to be concerned about the traffic jam behind him.
  2. An ATV. I have now seen 3 ATVs bookin' it down the autopista at about 60 km/hr.
  3. A Tree. Yes, one day I came home and a mudslide had carried an entire tree down into the road...and it was still standing upright! So I said to myself..."hmmm, yesterday there was no tree in the right hand lane...but today there is...so I guess I better get out of the right hand lane!"
  4. A man hanging in mid-air. Ok, so he was actually hanging by a rope working on a billboard sign...but he was literally being held up by a few of his co-workers...now that is a trusting work environment.
  5. A pole. No joke...this is pretty common in Costa Rica. Occasionally there will just be a telephone pole in the middle of the right lane. It does have some reflectors on it...but it can be a scary sight your first time driving at night.
  6. No road. Occasionally one lane just ends with no warning at all...or there is simply a really big bottomless pothole. Some of the potholes are the width of an entire lane and literally about 1 foot deep. Hitting them a few times at 60 km/hr makes me glad I am driving a rental car!
  7. People. Not so unusual in small quantities...but once a year during the countries pilgrimage to Cartago they actually take up one entire lane on the highway. That takes a little getting used to.
  8. Buses. Very common right? Well here in Costa Rica they simply stop in the right hand lane anytime they want to drop off and pick up folks. Again...not a welcome sight when you are late for work and going 110 km/hr in the right hand lane!
  9. Painted Hearts on the road. This one I had to ask about. Apparently when there is a fatality, they paint a heart on the road. You would be amazed at the number of them you see...I understand that most are motorcyclists/walkers.
I know that I am forgetting some things....if I think of them I will add them.

1 comment:

CherkyB said...

So, let's see if I've got this: 1) Don't drive in the right lane.

Yeah, I think that about sums it up.